In 2017, progress continues in East Village at a rapid pace. CMLC, master developer of East Village, is leading a team of developers, planners, architects and engineers who are building important and entertaining institutions and gathering places for all Calgarians, like the iconic New Central Library. They’re building new condominium homes to welcome new residents to our urban village. And they’re building hotels where friends and visitors can stay.
The most important thing in all this? You. Your routes around construction. And most of all, your safety. We make every decision to ensure the safest possible outcome.
The map below indicates construction sites that are currently active or upcoming in 2017.
Construction zones are places that have a lot going on. So be careful! Keep your eyes open and follow the routes outlined on this page.
Obey pedestrian signage and use designated crosswalks. Look for updates online – at calgarymlc.ca and evexperience.com – or in person at the EV Sales and Experience Centre at 553 Riverfront Ave. SE. You’ll find info on project status and updates from our ambassador staff.
LANE & ROAD CLOSURES
Please note these sustained closures:
- From Aug 28 - Sept 17, west-bound traffic will be closed on 9th Ave SE between 3rd and 4th streets for landscaping and surface works on the New Central Library.
- 6th Ave SE will be closed between 5th St and 6th St from Sept 5 - Sept 17. Access to FIRST condo parkade will be from east-bound 6th Ave SE.
- Vehicle access to St. Patrick’s Island parking lot will be closed Sept 18 - Oct 31 for continued work on the Zoo Flood Mitigation project. Patrons seeking to visit St. Patrick’s Island via vehicle can park in East Village and cross the George C. King Bridge. Pedestrian and cyclist access will also be maintained over Baines Bridge throughout this closure. The east sidewalk will be accessible, using the pedestrian underpass to get to the Island.
The elbow on Confluence Way SE will be closed from Sept 18 - Nov 15 for continued work on ALT Hotel.
Starting September 25, 7th Ave SE will be closed between 5th St and 6th St for continued work on The Hat by Cidex. This closure should last for 2 weeks.
- The southern-most lane on 5th Avenue SE between 3rd and 4th Streets SE is closed indefinitely for construction on 5th&THIRD.
- 8th Ave cul-de-sac is closed to pedestrians as work continues on the New Central Library project. Pedestrian access is detoured along 9th Ave SE during this time. Exercise extreme caution when entering the cul-de-sac to access local businesses.
- Zoo Bridge (12 St Bridge) is closed for construction on the 12 St Bridge Replacement Project. Access to St. Patrick's Island will be maintained from Baines Bridge via Memorial Drive East.
Additionally, intermittent lane and/or road closures can be expected at the following locations:
- 3rd Street SE (3rd Street SE Streetscape Improvements)
Two north-bound lanes will be maintained throughout.
- 5th Street SE and 6th Avenue SE (Verve, by FRAM+Slokker)
- Confluence Way SE (Alt Hotel Calgary, by Group Germain)
- 7th Avenue SE (Hat @ East Village, by Cidex)
- 6th Avenue SE and 4th Street SE (5th & THIRD, by RioCan)
WORK IN PROGRESS
While many parts of East Village are completed and ready to enjoy (think RiverWalk™, St. Patrick’s Island, C Square and much more), some of the best things are yet to come.
Our new retail is as practical as it is beautiful: on the site of the residential development Arris, an urban retail centre called 5th & THIRD is underway, bringing Loblaw's City Market and Shoppers Drug Mart to EV.
In FIRST, a residential development at 6th Ave SE, Merle Norman Cosmetics, RedBloom Salon and East Village Dry Cleaners are open with more shops coming.
Across the street at Evolution, the doors are open at Liz & Lottie Gifts, Davidson & Co Jeweller, Frilly Lilly and Mari Bakeshop.
The New Central Library, soon to be one of the most important cultural gathering places in the whole city, is well under construction and is scheduled to open on-schedule in late 2018.
This advanced facility will serve Calgarians for the next century in learning, art, meetings, books, computers, lectures and more: We’ll keep you updated whenever there’s important news. You can also follow along here.
Right now, more than 3,200 people call EV home, and when it's built out in the mid-2020s, there will be 11,500 living here.
More neighbours are coming: currently under construction is Verve, the first condominium building on The Riff pedestrian street by FRAM+Slokker and Hat @ East Village - EV’s newest residential rental tower by Cidex.
We’re also making room for visitors: an Alt Hotel - a brand of Groupe Germain Hotels - broke ground in 2016, and the new Hilton Hotel recently opened.